THIS CALL HAS CLOSED.
Roswell Arts Fund, in partnership with the City of Roswell, Georgia, is seeking proposals for the design, fabrication, and installation of sculptural bike racks. This call is for the creation of monumental, sculptural works that will showcase the diverse neighborhoods, history, and natural landscapes of the City of Roswell. All sculptures will become permanent part of Roswell’s public art collection. All sites and installed bike racks will comply with city standards, codes, and policies as identified in this Request for Proposals (RFP).
Several walking/biking tours will be scheduled to discuss the Bike Rack Project and potential project ideas to assist any participants in the crafting of their proposals. In addition, webinars will be made available for download. These events will be posted on RAF website and social media. Please visit www.roswellartsfund.org for more information.
This invitation is extended to all qualified artists with no entry fee. Selected artists will be awarded a commission of up to $10,000 for the project dependent on the submitted cost analysis for design, fabrication, transportation, installation and related expenses. However, commissions are expected to occur in the averages of $4,000-5,000. This dollar amount represents the full compensation for the artist to design, fabricate, and install the work.
This invitation is extended to all qualified artists with no entry fee. Selected artists will be awarded a commission of up to $10,000 for the project dependent on the submitted cost analysis for design, fabrication, transportation, installation and related expenses. However, commissions are expected to occur in the averages of $4,000-5,000. Artists will be awarded 70% of the total commission upon initial contracting. The remaining 30% will be awarded upon delivery of the completed sculpture, site installation, and approved maintenance documentation.
• Improve quality of life for residents and visitors to the Roswell community.
• Raise awareness of cycling as both alternate transportation and leisure by creating dynamic works that support the efforts of entities such as Bike Roswell.
• Raise artistic merit and design methodology of typical bike racks.
• Showcase the City of Roswell as a “premier riverside community, connecting strong neighborhoods” a city that is both modern as well as steeped in history.
• Showcase the Chattahoochee River, wide parkland, and natural trails throughout the City of Roswell.
|Artwork Location Description
The City of Roswell and Roswell Arts Fund will work together to identify sites based upon the pieces submitted. Curation and scale of the work is as important as the use and function.
Roswell is a successful city that blends its history with its future, and urbanism with its environmental resources. Roswell is home to a wealth of artists, performance venues, nonprofit organizations, galleries, and historic homes.
In addition, Roswell has become a robust dining destination, boasts a Triple AAA Bond rating, enjoys a unique proximity to the Chattahoochee River and has 22 parks with more than 1000 acres of active and passive parkland facilities.
For more information on the City of Roswell, please visit https://www.visitroswellga.com/media/quick-facts/
• This call is open to all artists, designers, and teams. Applicants must be 18 or older.
• Artist(s) must demonstrate experience in design, fabrication, and installation of large-scale sculptural works.
• Artist(s) must present a portfolio that shows strong artistic merit and creativity.
• Previous existing work may be considered viable for submission dependent on materials, and exhibition history.
• Artwork/Design will be installed outdoors (weather resistant), sustain daily use by the public, (no sharp edges), and appropriate for all ages.
• Artwork/Design must be fabricated and finished to be low maintenance (meaning little to no maintenance needed every 6-12 months). Examples include powder-coated metals, stainless-steel, concrete, and durable urethane plastics).
• Artwork/Design should accommodate elements having clearance of at least 30 inches apart to allow for handlebars, pedals and maneuvering.
Resume: 3 page(s) maximum
Work examples: 1 - 10
Artist Statement: 300 word maximum
Letter of Interest: 300 word maximum
In no more than 300 words, please describe the proposal, what thematic elements align with those identified in this RFP, and why the work should be selected as part of the Bike Rack Project. Please include the artist’s full name, address and complete contact information including any professional websites. Statements greater than one page will not be considered.
Artists are allowed to apply in teams.
Artists applying as a team must split the allotted number of work examples between themselves.
This panel is comprised of diverse Roswell stakeholders including business, civic, and community leaders as well as art professionals and expert fabricators.
The Public Art Selection Panel will seek to choose a well-balanced and diverse Artwork/Design with a variety of styles, types, and sizes. Structural and budget feasibility will be critical. Up to ten finalists and up to three alternates will be selected.
If the Public Art Selection Panel receives an insufficient number of proposals (a number decided by unanimous approval of the panel), the RFP may be rereleased or extended for further submissions. Applicants will be notified if this occurs.
• Is the artwork original?
• How does the work reflect the environment and neighborhoods of the City of Roswell?
• Does the proposal address the objectives of The Bike Rack Project?
• Does the project demonstrate high artistic merit?
• Is it artistically engaging and stimulating? Will it be appreciated by the general public?
• Do the other examples of work submitted support the artistic merit/quality of the proposal?
• Is the proposed budget reasonable? Can the project be executed for the requested amount?
• Does the artist have the experience to execute the proposal?
• Would the piece negatively impact the public’s health & safety in any way? (e.g. no sharp edg-es or elements which might present a possible danger to the public)
March 18, 2020 Release RFP
April 27, 2020 Submissions close; applications due
Week of May 4th Public Art Panel Selection Meeting
Week of May 11th Artist notification and confirmation of interest and participation.
Artists receive and sign contracts by February 15, 2019
Week of May 18th Selected artists notified.
Week of June 1 Begin contracting of selected artists
September-October Begin installation
|Download Bike Rack Project 2020 RFP (PDF)|
Public Art Manager
PO Box 768136
Roswell GA 30076 United States
Roswell Arts Fund PO Box 768136 Roswell GA 30076
|Mailing Submission Instructions
Items must be on 8.5x11 paper. Submissions larger will not be considered.
|Emailing Submission Instructions
Email all attachments as PDF.