You will submit this application online using PublicArtist.org.
Odessa Arts seeks 5 professional artists or artist teams to install murals to add to and integrate with the City of Odessa and its growing collection of public art during a festival in May 2023. The artwork should be bright and colorful. It should also celebrate Odessa’s music culture in some way, whether past, present, or future, especially highlighting Odessa’s designation as a music friendly city.
-Artists arrive (dates will be coordinated with each individual artist) between May 6 and May 10, 2023
-Mural installation between May 6 and May 14, 2023, with the option for community engagement depending on artist’s wishes and comfort
-Public dedication while artist is completing mural during the public festival on May 13, 2023
-Artists are ideally finishing up murals between May 13 and 14, 2023, making sure that public festival visitors can view the artist at work on May 13
Each of five selected artists will receive the following:
1. A stipend to help cover artist labor fees, materials, insurance, and travel costs. This stipend will be between $3,500 and $5,000 depending on the size of the artist’s given mural wall. The event organizers are open to reaching out to local paint suppliers for assistance if applicable.
2. Lodging - The event will select and cover the cost of either a hotel room or Airbnb for the artist, depending on the partnerships secured before the event.
3. Lift Rental - The event plans to cover the costs of lift rental for the duration of the artist’s installation.
4. Networking Event - Each artist will be celebrated at a networking event in order to foster relationships within the local community and between artists.
5. Photo/video coverage - Each artist will be provided with photo and video content from installation and associated events that artists can use on their websites and social media.
6. Signage - Each artist will be provided with signage for their final mural project as well as at the networking event
The artist stipend will be made in two equal installments. 50% of the stipend will be paid to the artist upon written agreement of design approval, with the remaining 50% to be paid upon completion of the project.
In order to best value and protect the artist’s time, vision, and efficiency, in the design approval process, the artist will be asked to do no more than one round of revisions, or else they will be paid additional fees for future design iterations.
5 artist or artist teams will be invited to install murals in May 2023 in Odessa, TX. The event will include an artist networking event, a private preview party for VIPs and stakeholders on May 12, and a public festival on May 13. Murals range in size from 408 square feet up to 1875 square feet depending on the location. Murals will be placed on either brick or stucco walls. Both hand-painted and spray paint media are acceptable forms of installation so long as the artist can complete their mural between May 6 and May 14, 2023. Artist teams are allowed to apply so long as all artists meet the eligibility requirements.
Artists will be encouraged to take on a local artist apprentice for the duration of the project, aged 18 years or older, in order to help inspire and enrich the local public artist population.
In addition to the goals stated in the call summary, the murals should also:
1. Meet the needs of the community
2. Reflect a quality that will engage the community and activate the downtown area
3. Reflect a quality that will enhance the reputation of Odessa to the external art community
4. Reflect a quality that will enhance the reputation of Odessa, making it an Arts destination, ultimately encouraging economic activity as well as promoting revitalization of the area
5. Allow the community to use the artwork as an example of exceptional public art
6. Be durable, sustainable and easy to maintain
|Artwork Location Description
All five murals will be located within a three-block radius between N Lee Ave and N Jackson Ave in Odessa, TX. See resource section for images and locations of 5 mural festival walls.
1. Ector Theater - 1800 sq ft - brick
2. Homemade Wines - 408 sq ft - brick
3. Law Office - 1875 sq ft - stucco
4. Glitz - 806 sq ft - brick
5. Copper Key - 828 sq ft - brick
Map of current public art projects in Odessa:
This commission is open to all professional artists or artist teams with experience in similar projects. Hand-painted or spray paint media will be considered. Applications not meeting eligibility criteria will be withdrawn from consideration. All applications MUST be submitted through publicartist.org. No email or mailed applications will be accepted. To be eligible to submit for this opportunity, artists must:
1. Be able to meet all of the project requirements (see below)
2. Be age 18 or over with the ability to fill out a W9
3. Carry personal liability insurance for the duration of the project and provide proof of insurance with the event organizer(s) listed as additional insured, with minimum limits of liability coverage as follows:
a. Commercial General Liability $1,000,000.00
b. Property Insurance $100,000.00
c. Worker’s Compensation and Employer’s Liability $500,000.00 (OR) a worker’s comp certificate waiver
4. Be open to taking on a local artist apprentice for the duration of the project, aged 18 years or older, in order to help inspire and enrich the local public artist population
5. Be able to complete a roughly 400 to 1800 square foot mural design within nine days or less
6. Be open to coordinating with stakeholders to develop an approved design concept, limited to one round of revisions to project the artist’s time and project efficiency
Resume: 2 page(s) maximum
Work examples: 5 - 10
Letter of Interest: 1000 word maximum
1. Please include a short statement about your interest in this project. Feel free to detail any connection you have to Odessa or Texas and how that connection influences your interest in this project. You might also describe how your previous experience qualifies you for this opportunity, or how this opportunity would impact your portfolio and career. 2. Please indicate, yes or no and why, are you comfortable with taking on a local artist apprentice, aged 18 years or older, for the duration of this project? 3. Tell us about your high level design idea(s) for this project (written statement only, physical sketches or concept designs are not required or accepted). Please limit your response to 1000 words or less.
Artists are allowed to apply in teams.
Each artist is to submit the full allotment of work examples.
Artists must submit their qualifications via PublicArtist.org. No emailed, mailed, or other electronic submissions will be accepted. The committee will review submitted qualifications and select up to five muralists to participate in MuralFest Odessa 2023.
Note: While this is the intended selection process, in the event of an insufficient number of qualified applicants, the selection committee reserves the right to invite artists of their choosing to propose designs, or to directly select artists, and also reserves the right to cancel the opportunity entirely at any point and for any reason.
Finalists will be selected based upon the following criteria:
1. Artist merit and technical expertise
2. Demonstrated successful, innovative ,and effective approach to public art projects of a similar scope
3. Ability to execute a public art project in a culturally rich and complex area
4. Express interest in creating artwork for the opportunities presented in this RFQ
This timeline represents the project as it now appears. Changes may be necessary as the project progresses:
Release Request for Qualifications: October 7, 2022
Deadline for Qualification Submissions: January 6, 2023 by 5:00 PM EST
Selection of Final Candidate: by February 6, 2023
Design Concept Approved: by April 7, 2023
Onsite Mural Installation: May 6 to May 14, 2023
Public Mural Festival on May 13, 2023 *Artist must paint live during these events*
Mural Completed no later than May 14, 2023
|Unnamed Resource (PDF)|
PO Box 7195
Odessa TX 79760 United States